Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Monday, March 5, 2007

Northern Ireland polls


Where to begin? Well in two days time Northern Ireland will be going to the polls to elect representatives for the NI assembly. ( RTE' reports) This could mean that today's generation could see a power-sharing government with Sinn Fein and the DUP working together. Something which I can scarcely believe I am writing about. But what are the implications of such a deal? Well, I believe that if all sides can agree to power-sharing we could see a beginning of a new chapter in Northern Ireland politics and society. However I don't think for one moment that it could happen over-night. Stormont has sat virtually empty for too long to make an easy re-convening possible.

Another possibility is that the deal might yet fall through, taking with it all progress made thus far, and making future possibilities of a deal very difficult. The most important thing that must not be allowed to happen is an escalation of tensions caused by the polls, the consequences of such could be horrific. (Having first-hand experience of political unrest in NI, I know how easily this could occur.)

However I do believe that now is the time for new paths to be forged in the coming days for the future of Northern Ireland. We shall see. One thing I do believe is certain, is that if the deal falls through, it will make for a very disappointing end to Tony Blair's part in the negotiations, as he is due to leave number 10 later this year.

No comments: