Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Politicians aim to restore public trust in politics!

How interesting, the Tory party is laying down a plan to restore public trust in politics. I think that this could be a sly jab at the Labour party's handling of the Trident debate, during which there were accusations that not all MPs had adequate information and time available to form a decision in time for the debate. The Independent reports, "The proposals include a new code of conduct for ministers to ensure no major decision could be taken before papers were circulated to all cabinet ministers in advance so they could have a proper debate. The code would no longer be supervised by the Prime Minister but a committee of MPs who could hold the Prime Minister to account by criticising him publicly if the rules were breached."

I also find it interesting that this idea appears to have come from Kenneth Clark, and not David Cameron, who of course is keen to promote his and the party's reputation for 'trustworthiness'.

Clark claims that : "There is a growing sense that our system of government has been debased, that our constitutional checks and balances don't work." I would agree strongly with this comment, although as always, I feel that it is very easy for party's to come up with fantastic ideas for reform, to 'restore public trust'. Accomplishing it is something else entirely. The only way for politicians to prove their worth is with their hard work.

No comments: