Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Tories visit Wales


The tory party held its Welsh Conservatives conference in Cardiff today, and some interesting tactics were used by the party to drum up Welsh support. (Click here) Environment and health seem to be areas which the tories are focusing on, the Welsh assembly leader for the party made an offer today to give every household £20 worth of energy efficient light bulbs if they win May's poll. Well, I think thats an interesting offer- good on you, Nick Bourne!

I think that whilst environmental issues are key to most of parties, this is a genuine attempt at encouraging and supporting the public to take action against climate change. (Although I think it is unlikely that they will win the poll, as support for Plaid Cymru and the Welsh labour party are forces to be reckoned with.)

Environmental issues are a matter of great importance to Wales, I know this from my first hand experience of growing up in Caernarfon. The people of Wales are becoming increasingly concerned about protecting their environment, and the very land on which the Welsh economy depends upon. Focus on buying local, fresh produce was also a good-sense recommendation from the tories, which I believe will have struck a cord with those working in agriculture, or proudly supporting Welsh produce.

I believe that the points during the conference will set a good example to all parties across Britain, who should also be aware of regional and environmental priorities.

No comments: