Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Blair speaks out on Iraq

Interestingly Tony Blair decided to speak out on Iraq in an exclusive interview with Sky News (access transcript via this link) today.

Of course this is indisputably linked to his impending departure from number 10 this year, but what was his aim for the interview?

I think that he had decided that it was time to speak out personally about the war Iraq, something which he hasn't done for a while, in an effort to dispel many of the wars' critics.

Arguably it may also have been an effort to regain influence as the Trident fiasco has re-ignited debate about the safety of Britain, in the current climate of global terrorism. However I don't think that was the main aim. Blair does not usually adopt such tactics in my view, he is much too self-assured to feel the need for such an obvious publicity stunt.

Some interesting points were raised during the interview, notably has the UK presence in Iraq been the cause of extremism in the UK? He answered by explaining his belief that extremists will use many conflicts and issues to justify their actions, a theory which I agree with. He also argued that the UK engagement in Iraq has liberated an otherwise suppressed country. Something he deemed a 'twisted' reason for extremists to justify terrorism attacks in the UK.

Many lessons have been learned during Iraq, the incomprehensible number of civilian deaths, the loss of control during the early months of the war, and the lack of public information made available during the beginning of the conflict.

I think Blair is well aware of these failings, but is determined to support the British troops in Iraq, their families, and indeed our country, by demonstrating his unwavering conviction that he feels we have done the right thing by continuing to remain in Iraq.

And I think many people will continue debate whether or not they believe his policy has been right for Britain and the people of Iraq long after he has left number 10.

No comments: