Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Cameron feels a touch green

David Cameron must feel positively sick with disappointment after his 'green' campaigning doesn't seem to be pulling in the voters according to The Guardian, who have been busy this week conducting research into the political battle for 'greenness' which has been playing out for weeks now. However he might feel a little better as I have also found that a similar poll for The Times, which appeared on the website minuets ago, claims that the Tories are the top greenest party. Confused? Well I think this often happens during such high profile political debates; However, what puzzles me is why is the parties believe taking on green issues will help them sway the voters at all?

It seems pretty clear to me that most of the major environmental problems, such as emissions,(home, car, air travel, waste) are largely for the public to tackle themselves. No matter who is in power, this will be a difficult task, and one which will need to be worked at by every man and his dog. I can't see how David Cameron, Gordon Brown or Sir Menzies could single handedly solve climate change if elected, with mere bundles of weighty paper-work and legislation. (Which would also be a highly wasteful use of paper of course,) whilst concentrating on running a country.

I really don't think it matters who the greenest party is, Climate change is happening RIGHT NOW, and so I think this debate is slightly past it.

No comments: