Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Friday, March 9, 2007

Everything to play for: NI politics hangs in the balance


I believe that today marks the beginning of a positive and progressive political change in Northern Ireland.

Today the people of Northern Ireland have achieved a great deal, they have sent an overwhelmingly clear message to the DUP and Sinn Fein: They want a devolved government to rule Northern Ireland.

However, the future of Northern Irish politics now hangs in the balance between bitter rivals Gerry Adams of Sinn Fein, and Ian Paisley of the DUP.

Both the DUP and Sinn Fein were the top two party's in the assembly elections, and must now agree to running a devolved government side-by side by March the 25th, (A day before the March 26th deadline) for the deal to hold together. If they don't, Northern Ireland will be ruled from Westminster, with assistance from Dublin.

I am sincerely keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: