Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

The great divide

Is the wealthy/poor divide becoming greater? I think so. We cannot really ignore this issue in our society for much longer. It has also thankfully been brought to the focus of Gordon Brown, this week.(See The Observer) Not before time however.

The UK is home to some of Europe's most impoverished, Wales for instance, has an extremely low economic status. It is one of the poorest countries in the EU. Something which I am aware of from living in the North of the country during many of its recent economic crisis's, foot and mouth, BSE and low spending power are some of the many key problems which plague rural areas. However the gap seems to be widening the most in London, where it is claimed that the rich are becoming richer, and the poor remain poor.

I think that is an accurate picture. Whilst travelling the underground during the early hours I seem to be seeing more and more wealthy city workers on a daily basis, but the same faces of the homeless, who sit nearby huddled in their cardboard homes, jostled out of the way by growing armies of y.u.p.p.i.e.s.

But how can the balance be re-addressed?
If I had the answer to this I think I would be working in politics. So I'll just ask the questions.

What does everyone else think? How can we prevent more and more of the UK's poorest people being pushed aside by the grossly over-paid, yet promote entrepunerism? I hope someone at Westminster will come up something soon, before there are huge social repercussions from the frightening division of class that we are experiencing in our society.

No comments: