Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Division continues in NI - Political parties continue to dance around power-sharing deal.

I've been checking up on the current political scene in Northern Ireland recently, and have to admit that I am un-surprised that two days away from the deadline for devolution, a stumbling block has been hit. (See RTE' bulletin)

I did envisage such an occurence, however I'm not sure how significant it is at this stage. On the one hand, the DUP could be bidding their time to achieve an upper-hand on Gordon Brown's economic package, on another, perhaps they may be beginning to decide that they are now unwilling to enter into power-sharing with Sinn Fein after all.

If the latter has occurred I think that it is time that the DUP consider their actions carefully; especially if they do want out of the deal. I also cannot really see a time extension this time, there have already been so many failed attempts at forming a devolved government in Northern Ireland. But what if the DUP are serious? If they are, I think that they will need to make their choice before March 26th.

However, what is most important in my opinion, is that the people of Northern Ireland, who have voted over-overwhelmingly for a devolved government this month, know where they stand by Monday, its the very least that they deserve in my view.

No comments: