Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Prince Charles, meddeling?!


It seems that prince Charles is being accused of meddling in political affairs. He no appears to be facing attack from all sides with the guardian accusing his behaviour having potential to” trigger a crisis.". A channel four documentary screened last night was the possible fuel for the controversy, which was also discussed by the Daily Mail, prior to the its filming.


However, I feel that whilst being in a position to be King one day, Prince Charles is not posing any serious threat to politics.

Let me explain why...

Firstly, it is allegedly a long accepted given that members of Royalty should not become engaged in political matters. However there are no clear rules on this! There are no clear legal reasons which prevent members of royalty from expressing their political views. Secondly, why would his 'meddling', "trigger" political crisis? Members of the current government are permitted to disagree with policies, members of the opposition are permitted to severely question the current government’s policy in Iraq, and members of society are also permitted to protest against government policies, and to launch petitions to number 10, and to write lobbying letters to MPs.

So What real difference does it make if members of royalty have political views?( See Scotsman article) I think there are some very positive aspects of his political engagement- at the very least we have a prince who has his finger on the pulse, which in my opinion is nothing but a good thing!

No comments: