Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Friday, March 2, 2007

Menzies 1st year (at the bottom)


Sir Menzies Campbell's first year at the head of the Lib Dems passed quietly today but not unnoticed. Firstly I think there appears to be a definite drop in his popularity, which has probably been highlighted by his leadership anniversary. This evening's broadcast of the BBC's Newsnight revealed that it had conducted a poll which could demonstrate this. Also his party's very own magazine, "The Liberal" carried comments from its editor calling Sir Menzies 'unconvincing'.
This decline in support, I think, has potential to knock the leader's confidence as rising stars in the party such as Simon Hughes, and Nick Clegg are basking in the media lime-light. If the party is going gain any ground at all on the Tories, I think they will need to do it without Campbell. I see little point in the party's talented MPs taking a back seat behind a flagging leader. The opposition are pulling out all the stops, and if the Lib dems are not careful they will sink further behind and out of the public eye completely.

No comments: