Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Tony Blair and the unlikely Easter bunny (aka Mahmoud Ahmadinejad )

Today in a surprise turn-around Iran announced that it would release the British service personnel it was holding as an 'Easter gift to the British people'. Downing Street have so far been irritatingly tight-lipped about the unlikely 'gift' in my opinion. However what interests me is why the apparently sudden change of heart? Was it..
  • The threat of a possible attack from a Britain which changed their minds?
  • Pressure from the security council and our allied friends?
  • Or simply that they felt that their point had been made, they were able to demonstrate power over the West?
I think that it may even be all of the above, combined of course, with a photo-opportunity for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to create a little spin of his own; Although his rather long speech at today's press conference didn't appear to have anyone fooled. (Commentary on the BBC was rather un-restrained today!) I await with baited breath to hear what will be said about the incident in its entirety at Westminster during the next few days.

No comments: