Welcome to the Newshound Blog

Please feel free to add comments or questions to the posts; if you think I'm wrong about something, let me know, if you agree with me, let me know! You can also e-mail me. If there are any other bloggers out there who want to collaborate sometime, I am open to suggestions.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Britain still extremely concerned about foreign policy.


(Image by from "stop the war coalition")
http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.htm

Yesterday protesters across Britain launched a protest against the war in Iraq. I feel that the timing of this protest quite fascinating. Last week the "stop the war coalition" began recruiting protestors in town centers across the country. This week the government announced that it would be withdrawing troops from Iraq. It seems to me that this news has had no effect upon those who turned out in London, Manchester and Liverpool, whether the timing of the announcements by the government intended it to, I'm not sure.

The public appear to still be extremely concerned about the role of the British forces in Iraq. Some of them are my closest friends or colleuges. The "stop the war coalition" , I think seems to be growing in supporters by the protest. But what I am wondering is, why has concern has escalated this week? The only conclusion that I can reach is that as our time in Iraq drags on, the information which is accessible to the public about the situation has grown, and with it I think a great deal of discussion, speculation and a sense of unrest. This has reach a boiling point, which coincided with this weeks' interesting announcements to withdraw troops from Iraq,
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2007/feb2007/blai-f22.shtml

(only to place them in Afghanistan) and the news of Prince Harry's deployment to Iraq. This has cause much global interest, particularly, of course from the US, where it is obvious to me that particular states appear less than...united. From these events this week I do feel able to see how current headlines might have contributed to rousing the anti-war protesters. I think that it is clear for all to see that Britain is still extremely concerned about foreign policy in Iraq. I don't think that in our lifetime at least, we in Britain can make sense of it all . Divided we stand, politically at least.

No comments: